Please use docs.servicenow.com for the latest documentation.
This site is for reference purposes only and may not be accurate for the latest ServiceNow version
| Note: This article applies to Fuji and earlier releases. For more current information, see Embedded Lists at http://docs.servicenow.com
The ServiceNow Wiki is no longer being updated. Visit http://docs.servicenow.com for the latest product documentation.
When a list is embedded in a form, any changes made to the contents of the list are saved when the form is saved. This allows the list to be treated just like another element on the form. In addition, users can create new records in the list view. After a row is added to the list, double-click on any cell in the list to edit its value. You can add the same lists to a form as embedded lists or as related lists, depending on the path selected in the context menu.
You can also modify embedded list controls, such as the name of the related list and the roles required to create new records in the embedded list. See Configuring Lists for more information.
Embedding Lists Within a Form
- Select a record from the list.
- Right-click on the form header, and select Configure > Form Layout (Personalize > Form Layout prior to the Fuji release) from the context menu.
- The slushbucket shows the available fields as well as the lists that can be embedded in the form. Lists appear in red at the bottom of the Available list.
- Select a list and move it to the Selected column in the slushbucket.
- Use the up and down arrow buttons to position the list in the form.
- Lists adjust to fit the frames of the adjacent fields. For information on using embedded lists, see Editing Lists.
- Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
Securing Records in an Embedded List
To apply security to the records in embedded lists, limit editing and deleting records in embedded lists to specific roles.
- Navigate to System Security > Access Control.
- Open the Write or Delete record for the appropriate table.
- In the Requires Role section of the form add the roles that have write or delete permission for that table.
- Save the changes.
- When records from the associated table appear in an embedded list, the edit and delete options will be available only to users with the specified roles.