Please use docs.servicenow.com for the latest documentation.
This site is for reference purposes only and may not be accurate for the latest ServiceNow version
| Note: This article applies to Fuji and earlier releases. For more current information, see Discovery at http://docs.servicenow.com
The ServiceNow Wiki is no longer being updated. Visit http://docs.servicenow.com for the latest product documentation.
The ServiceNow Discovery application finds computers and other devices connected to an enterprise's network. When Discovery finds a computer or device, it explores the device's configuration, provisioning, and current status and updates the CMDB accordingly. On computer systems, Discovery also identifies the software that is running and any TCP connections between computer systems. Discovery creates all the relationships between computer systems (such as an application on one server that uses a database on another server).
For information about ServiceWatch discovery credential requirements, see ServiceNow ServiceWatch Discovery Credentials and Connectivity.
|Note: Discovery is available as a separate subscription from the rest of the ServiceNow platform. To purchase a Discovery subscription, contact your ServiceNow account manager or sales representative.|
See the Knowledge Base article KB0540193, Discovery and MID Server Solutions for more information about Discovery and MID Server resources and troubleshooting.
- Discovery dashboard provides administrators with an overview of the Discovery status, schedule, and configuration items organized into multiple categories.
- Administrators can view the connectivity between servers and the network infrastructure.
- If enabled, MID Servers can constantly listen for traps and events in the local environment as long as the MID Server extension is enabled.
- Probes have enhanced caching ability and enhanced probes. Some probes now preprocess discovered information and return more targeted data to the instance.
- New probe types are available for discovering elements such as database instances, web application servers, and load balancers.
- Significant performance improvements on the instance side, due to improved sensor processing and reduced database load.
- The ability to prevent unnecessary data from being added to the CMDB with the Windows software filter.
- Discovery supports SNMPv3 enabled devices. SNMPv3 is a more secure protocol than SNMPv1 or SNMPv2c.
- Discovery supports SCCM 2012 plugin version 2.
- Discovery has added support for DAS, NAS, and SAN technologies to collect information on the storage infrastructure. Added the ability to map volumes to hosts.
- Powershell is now enabled by default for MID Servers.
- Discovery added Amazon Web Services (AWS) discovery.
- Discovery has the capability to manage probe versions.
- Discovery can perform Layer 3 mapping.
- Discovery provides Information about the IP Affinity Service. that successfully finds a device and associates it with the IP address of the device.
- Discovery can identify, Puppet, IBM WebSphere, NGINX Webserver, HAProxy rules, Dell DRAC, Oracle on Windows, JBOSS Web Apps for Windows, F5 Load Balancer, and router-to-router relationships.
- Getting Started module is renamed to Welcome. The Welcome page includes improvements and links to Discovery Knowledge Base, video, and Community treads.
- Process for canceling an active Discovery changed:
- Existing sensor jobs that have started processing are immediately terminated. In versions prior to Fuji, these jobs were allowed to complete.
- Sensor job changes. The existing sensor jobs that are in a Ready state, but have not started processing are deleted from the system. In versions prior to Fuji, these jobs were allows to start before they were terminated.
- Enhancements to the MID Sever dashboard.
- Optimization of Solaris probes and sensors.
- Default value for the mid.use_powershell parameter is now true.
- Automatic sensor cancellation. If a sensor transaction takes more than 20 minutes to complete, the sensor transaction cancels.
- Database changes. The following records can no longer be modified or deleted:
Table Record Public Page [sys_public] InstanceInfo Scripted Web Service [sys_web_service]