Please use docs.servicenow.com for the latest documentation.
This site is for reference purposes only and may not be accurate for the latest ServiceNow version
| Note: This article applies to Fuji and earlier releases. For more current information, see Getting Started with Reports at http://docs.servicenow.com
The ServiceNow Wiki is no longer being updated. Visit http://docs.servicenow.com for the latest product documentation.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Video Tutorial
- 3 Viewing the Reports List
- 4 Running Reports
- 5 Creating Your Own Reports
- 6 Editing Reports
The following video tutorial demonstrates how to create reports from a list, by modify an existing report, and from scratch. Covers the use of filters and sort fields; grouped by, stacked by, and sharing options; and changing report appearance and style.
|Reporting: How to Create Reports|
Viewing the Reports List
Users with an appropriate role, such as itil, report_admin, or report_global, can view a list of predefined reports and create custom reports from the Reports list by navigating to the Reports > View / Run module.
You can view the Reports list in a different design by navigating to Reports > Administration > Properties and setting the Use new view/run report list layout property to Yes, starting with the Fuji release.
If you use the new view/run report list layout, access to reports in the reports list is regulated by standard platform ACLs. This has been improved when compared to pre-Fuji releases, where access was hardcoded in the view run report list. This may impact user access to certain reports. For further information, see Kb0546694.
|Note: If you use UI14, you can open the Reports list by adding /report_home.do to your instance URL. To only show reports that are marked as favorites, add the ?sysparm_favorites=true parameter.|
You can filter the Reports list with the following tabs:
- My reports: displays reports that you created.
- Group: displays reports that you created, reports that have been shared with you, and reports that have been shared with the groups you are a member of. You can view additional information about an individual group report by pointing to the report icon.
- Global: displays reports to users who have the itil role.
- All: displays global reports, group reports, and my reports. Available starting with the Fuji release.
For releases prior to Fuji, reports are organized in the My reports, Group reports, and Global reports tables by default.
The following tabs are available on the report_admin's Reports list starting with Fuji:
- Heavy: displays the reports that take the most time to generate. Change the glide.report.new_home.heavy property to adjust the number of heavy reports that are displayed.
- Unused: displays reports that have not been used for some time. Change the glide.report.new_home.unused property to adjust the number of days that reports must remain unused before they are displayed by this option. Unused reports also include reports that have never been run.
- Most used: displays the most used reports. Change the glide.report.new_home.most_used property to adjust the number of most used reports that are displayed.
All users can view the following columns on their Reports list starting with the Fuji release:
- Table: displays the table the report is based on.
- Type: displays an icon indicating the type of report. For example, pie (Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination), bar (Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination), list (Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination), and so on.
- Created by: displays the user who created the report.
- Last modified: displays the date and time the report was last modified.
Users with the report_admin role can view these additional columns on their Reports list starting with the Fuji release:
- Scheduled: indicates if the report is scheduled to run in the future. Reports can be run periodically and then emailed.
- Last Run Date: displays the date and time the report was last run.
- Runs: displays the number of times the report was run.
- Runs on Page: displays the number of times the report was run from a homepage gauge. Refreshing the homepage does not always increase the number of page runs. The number is only updated when reports are not cached on the server.
- Recent Run Time: displays the average time in milliseconds that it took to run the report, based on the last 25 times.
- Run Time: displays the average time in milliseconds that it took to run the report, based on all runs.
- Published: displays a check mark (Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination) if the report is published.
You can search for reports from the reports list. Only reports you can access appear in search results.
Search suggestions appear depending on the search string. Use search suggestions to search for reports by title keywords, for a specific report by name, for reports on a specific table, or for reports created by a specific user.
Customizing the Reports List
The following options are available to customize the Reports list:
- To show or hide columns in the list header, click the gear icon () at the right side of the header bar and then switch columns on (Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination) or off () in the Configure View settings. The number of columns you can switch on and off depends on your user role.
- To sort reports in ascending and descending order by column, click the column in the list header.
- To view general information and statistics for a report, point to the report title.
If administrators have added and enabled the glide.report_home.group_report.show_usr_grp system property, you can configure the Reports list to show the names of the users and groups that reports are shared with. Shared reports are those where the Visible to setting is Groups and Users. You must also have a role with access to Reports > View / Run.
|Note: The glide.report_home.group_report.show_usr_grp system property is deprecated as of Fuji. It can only be used for releases prior to Fuji.|
To configure your Reports list to show only shared reports:
- Navigate to Self-Service > My Profile.
- Click Reporting Preferences.
- Select the Show first group or user name for group reports, on the reports home page check box.
- Click Save.
After you enable this option, the Group reports table displays a Shared with column with the names of the users and groups that the reports are shared with.
|Note: Users who configure the Reports list to show only shared reports may experience increased page load times.|
Viewing Favorite Reports in UI14
In UI14, you can manually mark a report as a favorite by clicking the star icon beside the report title. To toggle between showing only favorite reports and showing all reports, click the star icon in the list header. This feature is available starting with the Eureka release.
In UI14 (on Fuji), a report is automatically marked as a favorite when you open it. Starting with UI15 (on Fuji and above), the new View/Run reports list layout uses the general Automatically Add Favorites per-user setting to define the preferred behavior. You can modify this by clicking the menu icon (
|Note: Favorites are user-specific. The system stores the state of the Reports list as a user preference. If you are showing only favorites in the Reports list when you log out, the Reports list shows only favorites when you log back in.|
If you have a reporting role, you can run reports as follows:
- Navigate to Reports > View/Run.
- Click the report you want to run.
When you run a report that generates a chart, you can save the chart as an image. The steps vary depending on the product version.
| Click the menu icon (|
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination) above the chart and select the desired output format.
|Dublin||Use screen capture software to save the chart.|
Running Reports from Lists
Everyone can create basic pie and bar charts from a record list. However, you must have a reporting role to save, distribute, or export reports.
|Note: You can use screen capture software to save the generated report.|
To create a report from a list:
- Navigate to the list.
- Right-click the header of the column whose values you want to be displayed as the bars or slices in the chart.
- Select Pie Chart or Bar Chart.
- The report is generated immediately.
Creating Your Own Reports
- Navigate to Reports > Create New. In releases prior to Eureka, navigate to Reports > View / Run and then click New.
- Fill in the fields, as appropriate.
- Fields vary according to the type of report chosen. See the descriptions of the individual report types for additional details.
- Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
- Click Save.
- The report is generated.
Editing ReportsTo edit an existing report without running it first, navigate to Reports > View / Run and click the edit icon (
Users must have reporting roles to edit reports. Each role can access different reports.